Hello friends! I’m back tonight for our second week of Souper Sunday Series.
My husband and I went away this weekend to Cold Spring, NY to celebrate our wedding anniversary. On the way back we got some fresh autumn vegetables from a farm market. Butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash and parsnips are some of our favorites and we couldn’t pass them around this time.
This soup is simple, hearthy and delicious. Doesn’t take too long to make and if you add some olive bread (that’s I’m sharing here as well) you have the perfect Sunday Supper. Without further due:
Autumn Squash and Chicken Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
• 1 medium white onion chopped
• 2 large carrots chopped
• 4 celery stalks chopped
• 1/2 pounds of chicken breast or chicken tenderloins (I prefer tenderloins because they are much tender)
• 1 cup of butternut squash diced in 1/2” pieces
• 1/2 cup of zucchini diced in 1/2” pieces
• 1/2 cup of yellow squash diced in 1/2” pieces
• 64 oz of chicken stock
• 1 cup of ditalini pasta
• salt, pepper to taste
• 2 tbsp of olive oil
• 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
• In a large pot heat the olive oil and add the chopped onions, carrots and celery. Add the thyme. When veggies are starting to become softer and onion gets a clear color add the chicken tenderloins. Stir few times. Add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
• Add the diced butternut squash, zucchini and yellow squash. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it in thick pieces. Bring back to the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the cup of ditalini pasta (of you don’t have ditalini you can use another small pasta like elbows). Cook for 5 minutes and then lower the heat and let it simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
• Serve hot with your favorite bread!
I like to make Cheesy-Olive Bread with this soup. It literally takes only 5 minutes to make and 25 in the oven. You can make this as your soup cooks:
Olive - Cheesy Bread
• 1-6oz can of black olives drained and roughly chopped
• 1-6oz can of green olives drained and roughly chopped
• 1 salted butter stick at room temperature
• 1/2 cup of mayo
• 8oz of shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
• 1 french baguette or Italian bread loaf
• In a bowl mix the butter, mayo, olives, shredded mozzarella and red pepper flakes.
• Cut the bread lengthwise in half am day place on a non stick sheet pan or a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Spread the olive mixture to the both bread halves.
• Cook in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
• When it comes out of the oven cut in diagonal slices and enjoy!!!
I will see you next Sunday with a new tasty recipe. I hope you make this one and you enjoy it as much as we do :) I love to hear from you so make sure to leave me a comment and if you have any special requests for me to make or share don’t hesitate to let me know.